The Top 7 Best Cooling Pillows
It can get really frustrating when you wake up in the middle of the night from hot flashes and sweat. The more popular mattresses and pillows on the market tend to unfortunately trap heat very well. Cooling pillows can help counteract this effect.
Throughout the day, as your pillow sits on its own, it releases heat at a slow rate. The nature of its material means that heat moves in and out of the pillow very slowly. When night falls and you prepare to sleep, cooling pillows take a significantly longer time to warm up compared to other types of pillows.
Top Rated Best Cooling Pillows
Xtreme Comforts PillowSaleXtreme Comforts Memory Foam Pillows - GreenGuard Gold Certified Slim Queen Size Cooling Pillow for Sleeping w/ Shredded Memory Foam & Kool Flow Technology
- Slim & Comfortable - This standard/queen/king size memory foam pillow is perfect for stomach sleepers, or those who prefer a slimmer pillow to sleep on.
- Shredded Memory Foam - Get the pillow memory foam mavens are raving about. Shredded foam allows for this pillow to not only be extra comfortable, but also tailored to mold to your shape.
- Stays Firm - Don't get duped by a promising pillow that gets flat over time. Our shredded memory foam pillows for sleeping stay plump and firm, no matter how many nights you use them.
- Kool-Flow Tech: Avoid sweating while you're snoozing with us! Our pillow includes a viscose of bamboo pillow cover that isn't just as soft as a cloud - it uses Kool-Flow technology to provide proper air circulation.
- Machine Washable - Our pillows are as easy to wash as they are to sleep on. Just toss our cooling pillows right in the washing machine and tumble dry for a clean, comfy cushion.
Classic Brands PillowSaleClassic Brands Cool Gel Reversible Gel and Memory Foam Bed Pillow - Light Blue/White, Standard
- Foam constrution provides superior pressure relief
- Tailored knit fabric covering enables airflow for a cooler surface and is machine washable
- Ventilated memory foam allows greater airflow for cooler sleep
- Responds to pressure and creates the perfect support for head, neck and shoulders
- Features a naturally hypo-allergenic construction
Beckham Hotel Collection PillowBeckham Hotel Collection Bed Pillows for Sleeping - Queen Size, Set of 2 - Cooling, Luxury Gel Pillow for Back, Stomach or Side Sleepers
- Superior Comfort: Our cool pillow is encased in a 250-thread count cover, and filled with a soft down alternative.
- Keep Cool: If you easily overheat, or maybe you're looking for cool queen size pillows for night sweats, the breathability of our bed pillow can offer welcome relief.
- Safe & Sound: These bed pillows are made in an OEKO-TEX Standard 100 factory that ensures textiles meet high safety and environmental standards.
- Easy Clean: Unlike a memory foam pillow, our side sleeper pillow is designed to make life as easy as counting sheep! Simply pop them in the washer and tumble dry.
- No Shift Construction: Whether you're a supine sleeper, a power napper, or you love a sideways siesta - our cooling pillows for sleeping can accommodate! The plush bounce-back design will shape to your favorite position.
Coop Home Goods Eden PillowCoop Home Goods - Eden Adjustable Pillow - Shredded Memory Foam with Cooling Gel - Lulltra Washable Cover from Bamboo Derived Rayon - CertiPUR-US/GREENGUARD Gold Certified (Queen)
- LOOK NO FURTHER, HOT SLEEPERS - Your search for the perfect adjustable pillow has come to an end. The Eden features our soft, gel-infused memory foam & microfiber fill blend for a cooler sleep experience and a gusseted design for edge-to-edge support.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE, YOU ARE IN CONTROL – Experiencing pain, snoring or tossing and turning are all signs of sleeping wrong. Our unique adjustable design allows you to access the memory foam fill, which you can add or take off to suit your size, shape or sleep position. SLEEP RIGHT!
- IS YOUR PILLOW GREEN GUARD GOLD CERTIFIED? – Our Coop Home Goods Eden Pillows undergo strict, third-party lab testing and are CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold certified to ensure safety and quality. No harmful elements here! IT`S 100% SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES. Vegan & Cruelty Free – no animals were harmed in the making of this awesome pillow.
- WE CARE – ONLY THE HIGHEST QUALITY MATERIALS USED! - The case is made with proprietary Lulltra fabric, a blend of bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester that provides breathability and softness. Premium materials let you finally wake up refreshed. Unlike other pillows – we freshly manufacture our foam instead of using repurposed materials. A bonus ½ lb bag of fill is included with your order if you need a higher loft.
- YOUR BEST SLEEP EVER, GUARANTEED - You can now purchase with confidence. If you don’t fall in love within 100 nights (although we’re sure you will), contact us directly to return the pillow for a full refund, no questions asked. Each Coop Home Goods Eden Pillow also comes with a 5-year warranty. MADE IN USA.
Product Stop Pillow
Perfect Cloud PillowPerfect Cloud Dual Option Cooling Gel Pods Memory Foam Bed Pillow for Sleeping - 5.5-inch Breathable Medium-Loft (Standard)
- What is a Dual Option Pillow | Cooling pods, ventilated foam, and mesh trim. Provides continuous cooling for your best sleep ever. Perfect for hotel or home.
- Sleep Better | Helps eliminate nervous tension caused from common head, neck, and shoulder pain. Excellent support for back, side, and stomach, sleepers.
- Weightless Sleep | Pressure-relieving medium soft firmness. Provides pain relief and comfortable all-night sleep so you wake up feeling rested.
- Plush Knit Cover | Soft zipper case can be removed and machine washed for easy cleaning care. Fits in a standard pillowcase.
- Sleep Trial | Your pillow is backed by an incredible 30-day sleep trial, and 3-year warranty.
Fomi PillowFOMI Premium Gel Cooling Sleeping Pillow | Shredded Memory Foam | Adjustable and Supportive Pillow for Preferred Firmness | Orthopedic Comfort Design for Neck Pain Relief | (22” x 16”) (Standard)
- SLEEP BETTER: The pillow you choose to sleep with can affect how you sleep. The FoMI Gel Cradle Pillow holds your head in place allowing you to sleep better. The Flat Bottom Platform base allows you to stack pillows under the FoMI pillow so you can achieve your perfect height.
- HEAD CRADLE CONTOUR: Your sleep posture matters can result in better sleep. Designed according to the ergonomic theory. Fits the physical curves of the head, neck, and shoulders to ensure restful, rejuvenating slumber.
- GREAT HOLIDAY GIFT: The Average person sleeps for eight hours a night. A Better Night sleep is An Amazing gift for your relatives and friends. Our 100% satisfaction no questions asked return policy makes this a no risk present.
- COOLING GEL: Cool Gel technology promotes airflow for minor cooling comfort. No more waking up sweating.
- CRADLE YOUR HEAD: Ergonomic shape cradles head in place. Flat Platform Shape Allows You To Place A Second Pillow Below The FoMI Pillow To Increase Height. Ideal for back, side or stomach sleepers Memory foam pillow is 4 Inches thick and has a platform base so your head is firmly grounded.
What Makes A Cooling Pillow Worth It?
The pillow is designed with cooling features – Most pillows are designed for comfort. The materials used have minor consideration for regulating temperature. If they are breathable or uses water or gel, you can count on the pillow to be designed for a cooler sleep during the night.
Comes from a reputable brand – In this buyer’s guide, we selected brands that are well known for their pillows and/or cooling gel pillows. When buying on Amazon, be sure to pick the right seller for the brand. You can tell whether a seller is the correct one by choosing the one with positive reviews.
You live in an uncomfortably heated environment – This could be because you are living in a warm climate and try to save money by reducing air conditioner use overnight.
You wake up during the night feeling hot enough to have trouble falling back to sleep – When you find yourself flipping your pillow or adjusting yourself to find a cool surface, it’s time to search for a cooling pillow. The cooling effect and breathability of these pillows can help hot sleepers rest uninterrupted during the night. Cooling pillows are especially useful during the summer months or anyone living in a hot, humid climate.
The American Academy of Sleep studies have found that individuals with insomnia sleep better with a cooled prefrontal cortex, an area of the brain just behind your forehead.. Insomnia affects one in 10 American adults most of which struggle for relief even from current therapies. If you suffer from this common sleeping disorder, owning a cooling pillow can help you drift into sleep easier.
Do Cooling Pillows Really Work?
Cooling is considered to be one of the most important feature top rated pillows should have nowadays. That’s great news for consumers. There are two distinct ways popular cooling pillows seem to work:
They are breathable – which means there are holes or gaps in the pillow’s filling that allows air to flow freely. This works best when the pillow is not compressed heavily. For example, down pillows may feel refreshing, but down fillings can be heavily compressed losing the ability to let air flow freely throughout the pillow. Air flows help with evaporation of moisture thus resulting in a cooling effect.
They use water or contain gel – Water does an excellent job in transferring heat. Our body does this naturally when we get too hot and begin to sweat. The evaporation process that happens over time with our sweat helps cool our body temperature as it takes the heat with it as it disperses into the air. Water found within the chambers of a pillow can help conduct heat from the surface and pull it away from you.
Gel does the same thing. Pillows infused with gel or contain gel beads can help conduct heat away from your head. Made with the same materials found in ice packs for coolers, gel slows down the process of heat transfer and prevents heat from getting trapped in your pillow. Through the power of phase-change materials (PCM for short), heat is released during the day to provide you a cool sleeping surface at night. The cool thing about PCM is that it was originally designed by NASA for their next-generation spacesuits to absorb, hold and release heat to keep people comfortable.
How To Keep Cool During the Night
- Control your room temperature – It might be time to get a fan or turn on your air conditioning. Owning a fan or turning on your air conditioning and ensuring your room temperature is at a comfortable level for sleep is the quick and easy fix for night time heat and sweating. The typical recommendation for room temperature to sleep comfortably is between 65 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. However, you should set your temperature at comfortable level, whatever is best suited for you.
- Cool yourself down before bed – Avoid exercising or strenuous activities or eating heavy foods before bed. Physical exertion or digestion kicks your body’s metabolism into high gear which generates more body heat than normal. What can help is to drink a small glass of cool water before bed.
- Avoid jumping into bed unless you are ready to sleep – Sitting upright, reading or working on your bed can warm up your bedsheets, blanket, and pillow. If you try to sleep after spending 30 minutes reading or working, you might be snuggling yourself with your own built up body heat making it difficult to fall asleep easier.
- Freeze your bedsheets – An old trick in the history books that may not relieve you of heat throughout the entire night, it may help you fall asleep faster. You can use a plastic sealed bag to store your sheets to place into your fridge or freezer. The plastic bag will keep food smell and other possible contaminants from rubbing onto your sheets. Once you’re ready to sleep, you can whip them out and hop on top or cover yourself to enjoy the quality cold.
- Reconsider your choice of fabrics – If you’re sweating during the night, you may need a change of fabric. Aside from ensuring you wear loose-fit and comfortable clothing for bed, your bedsheets, comforter, blanket, mattress type, and pillow cover can contribute to the build up of body heat. Fabrics that contain polyester or flannel tend to trap body heat and moisture, causing nightly sweating. Instead, you can choose softer and natural fabrics such as cotton for better airflow and breathability.
Our Final Thoughts
Cooling pillows are a great choice if you live in a warm climate. Sweating at night time and hot flashes can interrupt sleep unnecessarily. Unlike most pillows, cooling pillows provide you with a sleeping surface that very slowly heats up. This means you can enjoy a cooler sleeping surface for a longer period of time. In this guide, we cover how a cooling pillow helps, considerations when shopping for one, and our top five recommendations for a cooler, better sleeping pillow.