5 Best Down Alternative Pillows for Any Sleeping Position
Buying the right pillow can become a daunting task because you don’t know where to start. Luckily, down alternative pillows are one of the better material types of pillows available, and for good reason.
Down alternatives, also known as synthetic, are hypoallergenic and won’t trigger any feather allergies, they are soft and warm just like down filling, and they are an inexpensive option for a pillow.
[gpp_box color=”green”]What Makes a Great Down Alternative Pillow?[/gpp_box]
When shopping for a down alternative pillow, there are a few attributes that make a pillow a great choice for purchase:
- Fluffy and cushy
- Sufficient amount of filling
- No initial odor
- Suitable for pillow fights
[gpp_box]Cushy, plush, and cloud-like experience[/gpp_box]
Down and down alternative alike are known to be soft pillows that are best described as cloud-like experience. A great down alternative pillow has sufficient filling to provide some amount of loft (albeit down alternative pillows are not known for thickness). The filling will provide the cushion and the cover will provide a somewhat flat surface for your head to rest on top.
[gpp_box]As much filling as much as possible[/gpp_box]
This one is difficult to measure. However, a down alternative pillow that is thick and of reasonable size will contain more filling ounce. Filling compress extremely well so it may not be the best judgement of a quality pillow. More filling will always better than less for a pillow to comfortably support your neck.
This is not to be confused with fill power. Fill power is not a good indication of the amount of filling a pillow offers as polyfiber can compress well.
[gpp_box]Initial odor is next to none[/gpp_box]
Unlike the popular memory foam material, down alternative does not have a dissuading odor when unpackaged. This initial odor, also known as off-gassing, is the break down of VOCs, or volatile organic compounds. It’s most common in foam and adhesive material, such as from a fresh coat of paint or a brand new car. Down alternative pillows should not have any materials that emit VOCs.
Most shoppers purchasing a down alternative pillow are looking for similar traits of a down pillow, without the feather allergies. If a down alternative pillow uses any actual animal material such as feather, then the pillow may not be hypoallergenic and can trigger allergies. If you want more options, you might be interested in considering all-natural organic mattresses.
[gpp_box]Suitable for close combat pillow fights[/gpp_box]
One of the great attributes of a down alternative pillow is its lightweight nature and ease of use for pillow fights. On average, down alternative pillows weigh roughly 2 to 3 pounds unlike memory foam pillows which can weigh up to 5 pounds. The weightlessness of the pillow allow more hits per minute compared to its more popular counterpart, making down alternative pillows suitable for those who value smacking their enemies several time vs. a single power hit.
[gpp_box color=”green”]Reviews of the Top 5 Down Alternative Pillow[/gpp_box]
[gpp_box]#1. Beckham Hotel Collection Gel Pillow[/gpp_box]
- Superior Comfort: Our cool pillow is encased in a 250-thread count cover, and filled with a soft down alternative.
- Keep Cool: If you easily overheat, or maybe you're looking for cool queen size pillows for night sweats, the breathability of our bed pillow can offer welcome relief.
- Safe & Sound: These bed pillows are made in an OEKO-TEX Standard 100 factory that ensures textiles meet high safety and environmental standards.
- Easy Clean: Unlike a memory foam pillow, our side sleeper pillow is designed to make life as easy as counting sheep! Simply pop them in the washer and tumble dry.
- No Shift Construction: Whether you're a supine sleeper, a power napper, or you love a sideways siesta - our cooling pillows for sleeping can accommodate! The plush bounce-back design will shape to your favorite position.
The Beckham Pillow is a for 2018 gel-filled fiber pillow that comes in a pack of two pillows. This pillow is stylish without covers with silver horizontal stripes alternating with white stripes. The pillow use 100% cotton cover with 240 in thread count. The pillow is relatively short in length that, along with its no-shift construction, prevent filling from unevenly spreading to one side of the pillow.
The Beckham Hotel Collection Pillow has high review ratings and shoppers with all sleeping positions have found the pillow to be comfortable. The pillow has no smell, come in an airtight bag, and puffed up right away.
What you might like about the Beckham Pillow:
- No-shift construction for a consistently puffy pillow
- Gel-filling with microfiber
- Few inches fatter than competing pillows
- 100% cotton cover for warmth and breathability
- Stylish design
- One order comes with two pillows
[gpp_box]#2. Queen Anne Heavenly Down Pillow[/gpp_box]
- QUEEN ANNE PILLOWS KEEP THEIR SHAPE - We use a proprietary hypoallergenic fill that is more expensive and harder to source than other fills. It also requires special machines. That is why our pillows bounce back while other brands go flat.
- LUXURY MATERIALS - Enjoy 100% Long Staple Cotton, High Thread Count Sateen Finished Cover, Proprietary Microfiber Fill, Long-Lasting Double-Rail Stitched Seams, Shape-Extending Purple Piped Edges. All orders include Pillow Refreshing Natural Wool Dryer Ball and Travel Tote. Worth every penny.
- TRUSTED BY FINE HOTELS - Our proprietary fill enjoyed by fine hotels, including Kimpton, Marriott Hotels, Hilton Hotels, the Westin and more. Made in the USA.
- COMFORT AND SUPPORT - Side sleepers choose a medium to firm fill. Stomach sleepers try soft or medium fill. Back sleepers who snore should consider a firm fill. The right pillow could quickly reduce sleep related back pain and neck pain.
- MACHINE WASHABLE AND ALLERGY FREE - Helps protect against allergens. No odor. If you have allergies, asthma, respiratory issues, or sensitive skin, this allergy pillow is just for you.
The Queen Anne Heavenly Down Pillow is a hotel pillow that supply the best hotels in the hospitality industry. Hotels such as the Marriott, New York Palace, and Hilton Hotels use this pillow. The stylish purple outline with alternative silver-white stripe is a unique appealing design. The construct of the pillow prevent filling from shifting unevenly inside and provide cushioned supportive head rest for sleep.
The pillow is filled with faux goose down with polyester clusters for consistent density. The filling is microdenier fiber spun from 100% polyester. Microdenier, compared to standard denier fabric, provide a sheer, soft, and silky fiber filling. Using microdenier fiber means the Queen Anne Heavenly Down Pillow provide a soft and high quality cloud-like pillow experience.
The pillow is available in a wide selection of firmness and sizes. It is made in the USA.
What you might like about the Digital Decor Pillow:
- Purple outline with alternative silver-white stripe style
- Faux goose down filling with microdenier polyester clusters
- Available selection of firmness and sizes
- Supplies the best hotels – Marriott, New York Palace, Hilton Hotels
- Made in the USA
[gpp_box]#3. Langria Hotel Collection Pillow[/gpp_box]
- Breathable and Hypoallergenic: breathable, hypoallergenic and dense cotton shell for your sound sleep through the night.
- Exquisite Design: neat double stitching prevents loose threads; nice and dense fabric gives the pillow a luxurious look
- Odor-free: no noted chemical odor, vacuum sealed package ensures the pillows have no odor from moisture, mildew or other contamination
- Quality Material: 28 ounces polyester fiberfill is lofty, soft and pliable; 233 thread count 100% cotton shell has high density and thus downproof
- Recoverable and Comfortable: quickly return to normal size 20x30 inches after releasing from the vacuum sealed package, slap the pillow regularly to retain its shape after long use; provides comfortable firmness and support for your neck
The Langria Pillow is a pillow with polyester fiberfill and 100% cotton cover. The pillow has 28 ounces of filling, slightly above average relative to other pillows, and has a thread count cover of 233. The pillow is highly regarded by reviewers and for good reason: it is engineered to prevent filling shifting unevenly, feels luxurious, and hypoallergenic. The pillow use a double stitching construct for extra durability along the edges. The pillow is odor-free and is vacuum sealed in packages for delivery.
The pillow is very soft and cloud-like head rest experience. They do a decent job offering relieve pressure along the neck and spine, without being too high to curve the spine uncomfortably.
What you might like about the Langria Pillow:
- Soft, cloudy, with decent loft
- 100% cotton cover for minimal sound
- Double stitch construct for durability
- Knife edge corner design (rounded) so there is annoying pointy corners
[gpp_box]#4. SmartHome Bedding Pillow[/gpp_box]
- Pack Includes 2 queen / standard size pillows - Comfortable for all sleep positions
- Filling 100% Hypoallergenic Virgin Polyester Filling, 25oz 4D Micro Fiber in each pillow
- Pillows measures 20 inches x 26 inches, pillows for sleeping
- Pillows are compressed packed; opening the plastic wrap will fluff up pillows; please allow 24 hours for them to fluff up completely Machine wash in the gentle cycle with cold water and sun dry or tumble dry on low when need
The SmartHome Bedding Pillow is a polyester fiber filling pillow with a 50-50 cotton and polyester cover. The 50% polyester, unusual for a down alternative pillow, provide more durability in the stitching of the pillow. Although it doesn’t guarantee that it can survive a pet tearing or clawing the pillow, polyester provide a longer lifespan for the pillow. The pillow is filled with 25 ounce of microfiber, which is slightly above average for a down alternative pillow.
The pillow is not as fluffy as our other recommended pillows, but it is highly durable and is similar to the ones used by hotels. The pillows are machine washable and dryer friendly (on low). The SmartHome Bedding Pillow is made in the USA.
What you might like about the SmartHome Bedding Pillow:
- 50% cotton, 50% polyester cover
- Comes in a pack of two pillows
- Simple white design
- Made in the USA
- Not a super fluffy pillow, but big and comfy
[gpp_box]#5. Mastertex Pillow[/gpp_box]
- QUALITY MATERIALS: Our down alternative pillow with 100% cotton 300 thread count cover is perfect for everyone. It’s hard to believe that this isn’t a down pillow! It’s like laying on a cloud.
- PERFECT FILL: It is the perfect combination of soft, plush and firm. It provides excellent support for your head and neck. It may help with neck and head pain. It will cradle your head and conform to your shape while you sleep.
- DURABILITY: These pillows are well constructed and will last a long time. They won’t fall flat after a couple of uses like other pillows. Your pillow will feel just as comfortable years from now. It has just the right density and will hold its shape for a long time.
- A PILLOW TO REMEMBER: Only Quality Fabrics Used, damask fabric with classic satin piping. 1.5" gusset for maximum loft.
- MACHINE WASHABLE: Machine wash on cool. The fibers will stay in place after washing.
The Mastertex Pillow is a 100% microfiber filled pillow with many available sizes. What makes the Mastertex Pillow unique is the gusset design of the pillow. The 1.5-inch gusset is an extra piece of material that helps expand and give structure to the pillow. It is the little side panel along the edges of the pillow that gives the filling more space to move around for a consistent comfort.
The Mastertex also comes with a grid-like window pane jacquard pattern cover that is 100% cotton and has a thread count of 300. The pillow is shipped in a clear plastic carrying case for travel and storage, and comes with a 1 year warranty. It is machine washable and dryer friendly.
What you might like about the Mastertex Pillow:
- 1.5-inch gusset side panels for loft
- Fluffy and relatively firm pillow
- Cotton cover with a window pane jacquard pattern
- Can order one or two pillows
- Clear plastic carrying case
- 1 year warranty to protect you from manufacturer defects
[gpp_box width=”100%” color=”green”]Want More Choices?[/gpp_box]
Here are the latest best selling synthetic pillows on Amazon:
[gpp_box]Our Final Thoughts[/gpp_box]
There are a range of down alternative pillows available to consumers. The pillows are soft, cuddly, and hypoallergenic. Being fluffy and lightweight, the pillows can provide a good night’s rest with loft that can avoid straining your neck and slouching your spine. One recent addition to down alternative pillows is the addition of gel filling to provide a cooler sleep surface for those who sleep hot at night. Down alternative pillows mold easily as you need and can support a wide variety of sleepers in need of a pillow with less loft.
We hope you found this handy pillow guide useful and the research we have done for you to help you find the right pillow for you.
Curious about other types of pillows out there? Check out our other buyers guides: