The Top 7 Best Down Pillows
Down pillows are softer, cozier, and lightweight for pillow fights. The construction is simple and when fluffed properly, can be an elegant choice for bedroom design. Down pillows are a great choice for those looking for a softer alternative to regular or memory foam pillows. People who sleep on their backs or on their sides will enjoy this type of pillow. However, before we recommend the best down pillows for you to shop from, there are a few points you should know about down pillows.
Top Rated Best Down Pillow
Continental Bedding PillowSaleContinental Bedding Premium White Goose Down Pillows - 550 Fill Power (30oz.) -Firm Density - 100% Egyptian Cotton Shell - Queen Size, 20x30-inch – 400 Thread Count -Proudly Made in USA
- 💤 LAY YOUR SLEEPY HEAD ON A CLOUD TONIGHT – Queen size (20 x30-inch.) Our 550 Fill Power (30 ounce) white goose down pillows are exceptionally soft and fluffy –Perfect for Back and Side Sleeper. guaranteed to provide warmth, pleasure and total relaxation.
- 💤 MADE IN THE USA & RDS CERTIFIED – Continental bedding only uses the finest quality materials and is made right here in the USA. We are also RDS certified (Responsible Down Standard) to ensure that all down clusters come from geese that have not been subjected to any unnecessary harm. We aim to promote Holistic respect for animal welfare.
- 💤 550 FILL GOOSE DOWN, NATURES PREMIER FILL - Each pillow is filled with 30 Oz. five hundred fifty fill power white goose down. The Egyptian white goose down clusters delivers superior loft and a higher degree of comfort. The pillow is slightly firmer than our 700 FP but is still plump, lightweight and fluffy. Lay your sleepy head on a soft cloud, for a perfectly restful sleep.
- 💤 ENJOY THE COMFORT WITHOUT THE ALLERGENS OF FEATHERS - With our breathable 100% goose down filled pillow, you can enjoy the comfort without the allergens of feathers. Goose down is known to be helps people with asthma and allergies sleep better throughout the night.
- 💤 LUXURIOUS 100% COTTON OUTER LAYER - Material: 100% Cotton. The high end 400 (TC) thread count with Egyptian cotton pillowcase cover gives you a soft, silky surface. You can easily fit a queen-sized pillow sham or pillow cover over these white goose down bed pillows. Turn your bedroom or guest room into a deluxe sleeping haven.
Royal Hotel Abripedic PillowRoyal Hotel Bedding Medium Firm Down Pillow, 500 Thread Count 100% Cotton, Standard Down Pillows, Standard/Queen Size, Medium Firm Pillows, Set of 2
- Luxury Down Pillows, 500 TC Cotton Cover, Hotel White Down Pillows
- 700 Fill Power and 33 oz fill, White Down, medium firm down pillows
- SET OF 2 DOWN PILLOWS, Allergy Free. Brand New and Factory Sealed. Edged with double silky piping for a clean finish
- These Pillows are packed tightly during shipping. Upon receipt, remove them from their packaging, fluff gently, and allow several hours to recover their full loft.
- Standard/Queen Size Down Pillows 20 x 28 Inches. Dry Clean Only
Downlite PillowSaleDOWNLITE Extra Soft Down Pillow - Great for Stomach Sleepers - Very Flat - Barely Filled By Design - This is the pillow you get when others are called soft but filled too much (Queen - Duck Down)
- Beyond soft - not for everyone - this is a very flat underfilled pillow on purpose (please read most relevant reviews)
- Assembled in the USA of Imported Materials By DOWNLITE - Please read item details and reviews below
- Perfect for stomach sleepers, face sleepers and those who find that soft is still too firm
- Machine Washable & Dryable - By the way this is a flat wimpy pillow (only good for few people)
Royal Bedding PillowRoyal Bedding Luxury Down Pillow - 500 Thread Count 100% Cotton Shell, Standard Size, Firm, Set of 2
- 100% Luxury Down Pillows 500 TC Cotton Cover
- 750 Fill Power and 41 oz fill, 75% down Ratio,25% smaller feather
- Edged with double silky piping for a clean finish
- Set of 2 Down Pillows, Allergy Free. Brand New and Factory Sealed
- Standard/Queen Size Down Pillows 20 x 28 Inches. Dry Clean Only
Sealy Posturepedic PillowDownlite Flat & Soft Down Pillow – Hypoallergenic Premium Down (Not Feathers) – Standard Size, 20 x 26
- Super Soft Density: A comfy, flat pillow that’s ideal for stomach sleepers, some back sleepers, or anyone who doesn’t want a firm pillow under their head
- Customizable Comfort: The loose blown down filling moves to where you want it for the ultimate customization, unlike stiff memory foam and some polyesters
- Hypoallergenic Comfort: Crisp 230 count cambric cotton is stuffed with hypoallergenic, 550 fill power white duck down
- Easy To Clean: This pillow is machine washable and dryable making for no-fuss, no-muss upkeep
- Comfort to the Core: For three generations, Downlite has been committed to providing great sleep experiences using the finest materials and highest quality craftsmanship
Queen Anne PillowThe Original Queen Anne Pillow - Famous 100% European White Goose and Duck Down Blend - Cruelty Free Luxury Hotel Pillows - Made in USA (Queen Medium)
- FALL ASLEEP FASTER - STAY ASLEEP LONGER: Our proprietary blend of goose and duck down pillows are famous for their perfect combination of softness AND stability. No more flat pillows. No more wadding and folding, tossing and turning. Just the Royal Sleep you deserve.
- LUXURY HOTEL PILLOWS: There’s a reason the Marriott, New York Palace, Westin, Hilton Hotels and Celebrity Cruise Lines use Queen Anne pillows - it’s the quality and detail we put into every stitch. Our hotel collection pillows are built to last with the most luxurious materials on the planet.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: 650 fill power 100% down. NO crunchy feathers. Velvet soft 330 thread count all-cotton ticking. Durable long-lasting double-stitched thread and shape-extending purple piped edges. Choose soft, medium, or firm fill in the Standard Size 20x26, the Queen Size 20x30, or the King Size 20x36.
- SLEEP STYLE: Stomach sleepers and back sleepers should consider a soft to medium fill pillow. Side sleepers should consider a medium fill pillow. If you need extra support and loft, choose one of our firm fill pillows for sleeping.
- MADE IN AMERICA: We are a family owned business. Rest assured your pillows are american made in the USA with triple washed hypoallergenic and allergy free materials. Our european style pillows could help solve stubborn sleep related neck pain and back pain. They certainly have for our family. So try a Queen Anne Pillow tonight!
Puredown PillowGoose Feathers and Down Pillow for Sleeping Gusseted Bed Hotel Collection Pillows, Standard/Queen, Set of 2
- 💡 SIZE & FILLING - Made with 95% goose feathers and 5% goose down. These carefully selected extra fluffy stuffing provide comfort for a night of better sleep and blissful dream. Available in king (20x 36 in), queen (20 x 30 in) and standard (20 x 28 in) sizes.
- 💤 HOTEL COLLECTION SET - The gusseted pillows not only provide a medium firm density but also, along with the beautiful diamond lattice quilted finish and cored brown piping, present a luxurious feel. It's like having hotel pillows in the comfort of your home.
- ☁️DURABLE FABRIC - Made of 100% cotton, the soft and breathable white cover is skin friendly and durable. We use double fabric lining, matched with superb stitching, to prevent the down and feather filling from leaking or sticking out.
- 🦢 ETHICALLY-SOURCED MATERIAL - All of our pillows follow the Responsible Down Standard (RDS), so you can rest assured that all our materials are ethically sourced.
- 💧 WASH INSTRUCTION - Machine washes cold separately gentle cycle, tumble dry low until thoroughly dry. Fluff your pillows every morning could be helpful to keep them in good condition. Pillowcases are recommended.
Types of Down Pillows
There are two types of down pillows in the market: Goose down and duck down. Goose down comes from geese and duck down comes from duck. There is a misconception between the two on which is better. You will find a lot of people say goose down is better than duck down. Is that really the case?
The problem with answering this question is that some duck down can have superior while some goose down can have very poor quality. If this were the case, then duck down becomes the better choice as it tends to cost less than goose duck.
It is a difficult question to answer, so here are some facts to explain why goose duck can cost more and are marketed as the better choice between the two:
- Goose down clusters are generally larger than duck clusters
- Goose down is sourced from older, larger birds which makes it more resilient and longer lasting than duck down-alternative
- Duck down does tend to have more odor problems than goose down
Goose down is typically marketed as more “valuable” and luxurious compared to duck down. However, a high quality duck down pillow will always be better than a mediocre goose down pillow.
Everything You Should Know About Down Pillows
Down pillows are soft, cuddly, and huggable. However, there are a few other important things to know about this type of pillow:
- Firmness range from soft to medium-firm, making for a great choice for those looking for a softer pillow and sleeps on their backs
- Can be scrunched up for different sleep positions, making for a suitable choice to support the heads of side sleepers who curl up at different angles
- Lightweight and easy to lift, turn, and move during your sleep
- Quiet to the ears as down feathers make little or no noise, unlike the ruffling of feather filling pillows
- Comfortably warm without trapping heat. Ducks and geese down feathers keep their eggs warm and insulated without overheating. This means less sweating at night for you
- Lack of neck support is most common complaint as fillings can unevenly shift around
- Lack loft and support, especially for larger individuals
- When compressed, down pillows can lose loft regardless of the amount of filling or fill power of the pillow
- It needs to be fluffed and shaken regularly otherwise the pillow surface and support can become uneven and uncomfortable
- Not the best choice for side sleepers, but being able to scrunch up the pillow means you can adjust its loft and comfort level. For a better choice, visit our memory foam pillows buyers guide.
- Are known to cause allergies as down filling pillows are susceptible to gathering allergens. For a hypoallergenic alternative, see down-alternative pillows.
Down pillows can do a lot of good for the right people, but they may not be the most comfortable choice. For back and side sleepers, or for someone looking for a softer pillow, down pillows can be the perfect choice for head, neck, and shoulder support, not to mention a more comfortable sleep!
Ideally, what makes a down pillow a good choice are:
- High fill power for more density and loft
- Goose down as goose ducks tend to be the better choice
- High thread count for a softer pillow surface (may not matter when using a pillow case)
- Comes from a reputable brand with many verified purchases and reviewers
On average, people replace their pillows every 6 to 24 months (2 years) which translate to 180 to 720 nights of rest with the same pillow.
We want to make the best choice for all those nights of rest because owning a low quality pillow will not only cost money to replace, but also cause a lot of headaches and neck and shoulder pain for many nights.
These four factors will help you determine the best down pillows to buy, and they are the same factors we use to come up with our list of recommended down pillows for you.
Considerations When Shopping for a Down Pillow
Your sleeping position – Down pillows are a suitable choice for back sleepers and side sleepers. Stomach sleepers may not be comfortable with this type of pillow because it may not have enough loft and firmness to prop up the spine.
Your cost and budget – Down pillows tend to be pricier than regular pillows that use down alternative microfiber filling. Hungarian goose down is one of the most expensive down pillows while duck down tends to be a less expensive alternative. You may also want two pillows instead of one. Luckily, there are many two-pillow package discounts available on Amazon.
Look for the reviews, not the fill power or thread count – Fill power is a measurement that determines the loft in the pillow and down per cubic inch. This can translate to less fluffing and more insulation overall. However, this term can be useless when it comes to neck support and sleeping comfortably as pillows with higher stated fill power may not have better loft or fluffiness than pillows with lower fill power. The same goes for thread count which determines the feel of the pillow, but can be ignored when you use a pillow case to extend the lifespan of your pillow and protect it from being soiled or dirtied.
Whether the down filling is responsibly sourced and free from harmful chemicals is important to us as we want to ensure the animals are humanely cared after and does not contain any chemicals that can adversely affect our health.
Our Final Thoughts
Down pillows can be an amazing choice for back and side sleepers. They tend to be soft and cuddly, warm and comfortable, and provide an incredible cushion support to relieve neck and shoulder pain. Down pillows come in either goose down or duck down, where goose down is the preferred choice because of their generally higher quality down clusters. In this buyers guide, we go through everything you need to know about down pillows (the good and the bad), considerations when shopping for a down pillow, the two types of down pillow, and our top 10 best recommendation for down pillows.
Curious about other types of pillows out there? Check out our other buyers guides: