The Step-By-Step Guide on How to Buy A Mattress Online
A lot of consumers contemplate whether it’s better to purchase a mattress online or not. Some people say it’s hard to make a big purchase without seeing the item in person. Online shopping has made it easier for people to get whatever they need or want.
Buying a mattress online has become a good and practical choice for more and more people. It offers a multitude of benefits in terms of quality, selection, and value. For people who are still skeptical, here are the amazing benefits of buying a mattress online.
Advantages of Buying a Mattress Online
- Buying a mattress online is less time-consuming and more convenient compared to in-person or offline shopping.
- Mattresses sold online are typically sold at the lower cost than the models sold in the brick-and-mortar stores.
- Many online retailers and direct-to-consumer mattress manufacturers give full product specifications on every product. These details are hard to find in the brick-and-mortar stores.
- Most of the in-store mattress salespeople will force you to buy a more expensive memory foam mattress or extras, but it doesn’t happen when you buy a mattress online.
- Those shops that sell mattress online normally include free delivery, so you don’t need to leave for the delivery. Also, they may require you to be at the shops to manage the assembly.
- Online mattress sellers typically offer lower return charges compared to brick-and-mortar counterparts.
- Although visiting the shop to test out 3 or more mattresses in-person is ideal, the satisfaction rates for mattress bought at brick-and-mortar vs. online mattress stores are nearly identical.
11 Tips When Shopping Online For A New Mattress
Follow these steps to make a good choice once you’re ready to buy a new memory foam mattress:
1. Assessing Your Existing Mattress
Before you buy a new mattress, be sure to check your current mattress. Sometimes mattresses become old, and it can be difficult to tell when it’s time for a change. It’s time to buy a new mattress if the old one is not delivering a healthy and restful night’s sleep anymore. Likewise, it’s time to buy if you often find yourself waking up in pain or if your old mattress looks saggy or lumpy.
2. Choosing The Right Mattress Size
If you’re sharing the bed with your sweetheart or if you are taller or bigger than average, you must be more careful in choosing a mattress size. If you mistakenly choose a smaller mattress size, you may end up struggling to have a restful sleep every night. The size is very important not just for the sleeper but also for the room. Meaning, a king-size mattress will not fit every bedroom. When buying a mattress online, don’t forget to check the provided size chart and figure out which size will fit your bedroom by using a tape measure or any other measuring tool.
3. Getting Your Family Doctor’s Input
Consulting your doctor before buying a mattress online is important, especially if you’ve been dealing with a health condition which stops you from having a restful sleep. While your doctor won’t know the components of a mattress, he may tell you something regarding temperature control and the need for additional cushioning or padding for your back and joints.
A firm mattress is not always a supportive mattress. People have different needs for firmness, so the mattresses sold online are typically available in different levels of firmness to accommodate every sleeper.
4. Making Use of Online Research
Visit a manufacturer website and read reviews as many as you can. It’s better to know a certain model or brand of a mattress before making a purchase. Be careful, though. That’s because not all stuff available online will tell you the truth about the mattress. In fact, some information can be confusing. Good reviews will tell you both the good and bad sides of a mattress.
5. Budgeting The Right Way
Similar to buying a brand new car, the cost of a mattress may vary per brand and size. You may want a luxurious mattress but want a tight budget. Decide how much you can spend for a mattress and concentrate on researching for a good mattress brand or model based on your budget. Don’t worry if you’re on a tight budget because the market will offer you a wide array of choices regardless of your budget.
6. Shopping Around For Your Dream Bed
Buying a mattress online is not as easy as ordering your favorite pizza. Buying a wrong pizza is an easy-to-forget experience but buying a mattress that is not compatible with your needs is something you will regret for the rest of your life. So, take your time until you find a good match.
7. Taking A Test Drive At Local Mattress Stores
When you buy a smartphone, you touch it, press the buttons, and check out the applications installed. You’re doing these things with different models before choosing what you think is right for you.
Buying a mattress online sounds the same with this. Find a mattress store in your location which has a wide variety of mattress types available for testing. Sit or lie down on each one in various positions to know which type fits you the most.
8. Sleep On Your Decision
Your body will need time to experience each mattress so you can correctly compare them to your current mattress. Experts recommend spending 15 minutes on the mattresses that make you feel comfortable. Talk about it with your partner while you’re trying the mattresses and concentrate on your areas of concern by imagining your old mattress.
You should also keep an eye out on sleep trials at this point. As a growing standard, mattresses online offer at least 30 days of sleep trial. Most offer 90 to 120 days, or 3 to 4 months. This opportunity gives your body adequate time to adjust to your new mattress comfort, and time for the mattress to soften to your body weight and liking.
9. Understand The Mattress’s Construction
Some sleepers want a soft pillow-top that has a supportive interior-spring core. Others like latex and its suppleness. As you lie down on every mattress offered for a test drive, ask some questions regarding the interior of the mattress and how the inner components will alter the feel. This step is very important as it will make you understand how your body reacts to better.
10. Visit Different Retailers
Department stores might advertise their special offers which are truly money saving. The problem is that they are often crowded, and it’s hard to look for a friendly salesperson who can answer all your questions. Salespeople may also be commissioned differently between brands, and can be more prone to selling you one brand over another if it pays them better.
You may find a more attentive and helpful salesperson at an online furniture shop and be surprised at their competitive pricing. If you’re ready to buy a new mattress today, don’t quickly close the deal with one retailer. Talk to at least 3 sellers for the meantime to find where you can get your preferred mattress at the best price.
11. Don’t Forget Protection
The stain on your mattress will instantly void the warranty. The same case is for any model and manufacturer. The spills of wine or coffee are your biggest enemies here. To protect your mattress and its warranty, invest in a good waterproof mattress protective cover. This accessory is good not only for protecting your investment even for hygiene. A proper foundation may be necessary according to most mattress warranties, so be sure to own the right kind!
Other Considerations When Buying a Mattress Online
After deciding on the firmness level, material, and your budget, consider other important factors, such as:
- Delivery – some manufacturers and retailers provide full-service delivery for mattresses. This will include moving the item to your house and assembling it for you. However, other mattress providers limit their delivery service to bringing the mattress to your doorsteps.
- Return Policies and Charges – the return and refund charges implemented by online mattress sellers are typically lower than the fees you may pay at the brick-and-mortar mattress stores. Direct-to-consumer mattress sellers will remove the mattress from your house to their warehouse at no extra charges. However, other retailers will ask you to put the mattress back into the box before picking and shipping it.
- Extra Charges – most times, buying a mattress online does not incur delivery charges and state sales tax. However, review the fine print first. There might be important details you won’t want to miss.
- Trial Period and Warranty – since testing the mattresses in-person might not be a choice when buying a new mattress online, most retailers and direct sellers provide trial periods of 3 months most times. During the sleep trial period, you can send the mattress back if you are unsatisfied and get your money back in full. The warranty period is often 10 to 25 years or even a lifetime.
Buying the best mattress for you is a huge investment in the life of anyone. It’s something that should comfort and support you for a long time, allowing you to have a more restful sleep and live a healthier way of life. Weigh your options and do thorough research to save money, not to waste it.
Follow this guide. It will help you make the most informed decision possible. You can enjoy a quality mattress while getting the best value for your money.